Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Verbal Handslap

It's very difficult to handle job interviews well, especially when you've been out of the workforce for a while and are rusty.  I definitely made a few mistakes the first couple of times out of the chute, as I learned from this informative article on the web:

"10 things you should NEVER say during a job interview"

http://hubpages.com/hub/5_things_you_should_NEVER_say

Faux pas #1 - I shared way too much personal information.

After deciding to try for a part-time, minimum-wage job - just to get started, I heard that a local gym needed a receptionist on weekends.  When they agreed to an interview, I was stoked.  Why wouldn't they want me?  After all, I worked out regularly at a gym.  That should make me more than qualified.  This will be a piece of cake, I thought.

Things went smoothly during the interview until I was asked a basic question:  Why do you want this job?  I felt an immediate change in my demeanor as I began describing how I was getting divorced and needed a little extra cash, the kids were growing up, etc.  She sympathized and began telling me about her own divorce.  We were like two girlfriends chatting over coffee.  As we said goodbye, she wished me luck and gave me a little pep talk.  I realized we had spent most of the interview talking about my personal life, rather than the potential job.  Not good.

A week or so later, I got a friendly letter in the mail stating that they went with someone "whose background more closely matched the position."  Although disappointed, I wasn't suprised. 

A friend recently gave me some sage advice on this topic. She suggested that I just say I've had a change in my circumstances.  Period.  Then move the conversation back to why I'm the best person for the position.  I will definitely give this new approach a try. 

Faux pas #2 - I asked about salary during the initial interview.

I got my hands verbally slapped when, during an interview at an arts organization, I boldly asked about the hourly wage.  What can I say?  I had met with my lawyer the day before and my financial situation was foremost on my mind.  I was crisply told that money would be discussed only if I made it to the next round.  Which never happened. 

I now know that any salary discussion (minimum wage as well as professional) should be initiated by the interviewer and that I should, at least initially, be very general when talking about my requirements.  I also don't want to knock myself out of the game by setting unrealistic financial expectations. 

Faux pas #3 I stated which hours and days I was willing to work for a part-time position, rather than finding out what the organization needed.

This was during the same interview for a 20-hour/week job.  I think I came off as mildly inflexible when I said that I wanted Fridays free and would prefer to be home each day when my daughter got out of school.  I didn't give the interviewer a chance to tell me what hours or days the job required.  Using a stern voice for the second time that morning, she explained that she probably couldn't accommodate my schedule.  I knew right then and there that things didn't look promising.

I've learned from this mistake as well.  I need to listen more, demand less and remember this tidbit from the article noted above: "The first interview you have with a company is all about what you can do for THEM."

There is some good news for me, according to "10 things you should NEVER say ..."  I have only seven more mistakes to make before experiencing what may be the perfect interview.  I can hardly wait!



No comments: